Monday, April 27, 2009

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar

I've been trying to understand why we love sugar so much. I definitely crave it some days and I know others do too. Some people tend to crave salty things, but a sweet tooth is quite common. I think a good way to deal with it is to make sure you eat often throughout the day so that your blood sugar doesn't get too low; that's often when you feel like a quick sugar fix. Having healthy snack ready to go is also a good idea. It can help to focus on portion control too. If you're going to have something with lots of sugar, just don't overdo it. Have a Halloween size chocolate bar in stead of a regular one, have one scoop of ice cream instead of two, you get the idea. I know I can't completely eliminate sweets because that's when I'll think about them even more. So learn to control the cravings. It's also important to look at how you are feeling emotionally. Some people eat when they're bored, sad, lonely, and so on. If that is the case, try to find other solutions than looking for cookies or a chocolate bar. You also need to be creative in how you reward yourself, get a new lipstick, a new shirt, etc. instead of overdoing it with sweets.

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com