Friday, December 11, 2009

Winter Workouts


When it gets cold out, it can get hard to workout. I know the cold weather makes me want to stay warm in bed all day. It is a matter of making things work for you. When I don't feel like making an extra trip outside, warming up the car, driving on slippery roads, etc, etc. I just make sure that I workout at home. I am fortunate to currently have a treadmill, but otherwise I am using a yoga mat, my body weight, and some resistance tubing. Be creative, or even look online for at home workouts.

Some people really enjoy winter sports and there are so many to choose from. I keep meaning to get back into cross country skiing; we did it lots when I was a kid, but then my winters got busy with other sports. You could even challenge yourself to try something new: skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, hockey, curling... Winter activities don't have to be outside either, just pick something you enjoy doing, or get a friend/partner to join you and encourage you to go. It's important to include activity in your day, so find ways that you can look forward to it and make it convenient so that you're more likely to stick to it.

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com