Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mixing it up - Vegetarian Style

At this point I have no intention of giving up meat, but I do like to get meat alternatives into the mix. Meat alternatives (soy proteins, tofu, beans, lentils, chickpeas...) can help you reduce the amount of saturated fat in your diet - making them a great option to increase the variety in your meal routine. Of course, you want to prepare them with little added fat or salt.

We recently attended a family supper and were surprised to get vegetarian lasagna. Encouraged by CBC's Village on a Diet - we enjoyed vegetable lasagna with Yves Italian Veggie Ground Round. Had I not been told that it was soy rather than ground beef, I may not have noticed. The texture is the same and with all the other flavours associated with lasagna I could not tell the difference. The Italian Veggie Ground Rounds contains 60 calories, 0 g fat, 10 g protein, and 2 g fibre, along with other vitamins and minerals in a 1/3 cup serving.

I remember using is a couple of times in the past when I was cooking for 1 because it is quick and easy - you just have to heat it up and can use in pasta, salads, wraps, etc. I love when people try new foods and I thought it was great that we were served a vegetarian option and everyone seemed to like it.

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com