Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A New Take on Carrot Cake

I recently tried a Quinoa Apple Carrot Cake recipe from the Company's Coming Whole Grain Recipes cookbook. The quinoa added a bit of a "nutty" taste in my opinion, but overall a moist and flavourful new recipe. I do have a sweet tooth, so I like to bake every once in awhile. Since this was the first time I tried this recipe, I didn't modify it (well I didn't add the salt - so I guess I modified it a bit!).

Ingredients
All-purpose flour 1 1/2 c
Baking powder 1 tsp
Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
Baking soda 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Large eggs, fork beaten 3
Brown sugar, packed 1 c
Canola oil 2/3 c
Finely grated ginger root 1 Tbsp (or 3/4 tsp ground ginger)
Cooked quinoa 1 1/2 c
Grated carrot 1 c
Grated, peeled apple 1/2 c (such as McIntosh)
ICING
Cream cheese, softened 2 Tbsp
Milk 2 Tbsp
Margarine, softened 2 tsp
Vanilla extract 1/4 tsp
Icing sugar 1 1/2 c
Measure first 5 ingredients into large bowl. Make a well in centre.
Combine next 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
Add next 3 ingredients. Stir. Add to well. Stir just until moistened. Line bottom of greased 9 inch (22 cm) springform pan with waxed paper. Spread batter evenly in pan. Bake in 325F (160C) oven for about 55 minutes until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Run knife around inside edge of pan to loosen cake. Let stand in pan for 5 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack to cool completely. Remove and discard waxed paper from bottom of cake.
ICING: Beat first 4 ingredients in small bowl until smooth. Add icing sugar. Beat until smooth. Add more milk if necessary until spreading consistency. Spread evenly over top and side of cooled cake. Cut into 12 wedges.

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com