Thursday, July 14, 2011

Using the % Daily Value (DV)

Recently at the till of a local Saskatoon Sobeys grocery store I saw little % DV handouts. They are about the size of a typical coupon, and I know I noticed them and took one, but I'm not sure if other consumers were as aware.

Having a focus on label reading in the grocery store seems like a great place to start. I know this Health Canada campaign is fairly basic with the main message being 5% DV or less is a little and 15% DV or more is a lot. The idea is that you want less fat, saturated fat, trans fat, and sodium. You want more fibre, vitamin A, calcium, and iron. This gets you started to being a smart shopper and feeling a little more knowledgeable when comparing two similar products.

For more information visit the % DV portion of the Health Canada website (or see a Registered Dietitian!).

Steph Wheler
www.nutrishus.com