Sunday, August 14, 2011

Cabbage Challenged

If you follow me on facebook, you'll already know that in my most recent CHEP Good Food Box I received a very large cabbage. Other than the occasional cabbage salad, I really don't cook with cabbage often. This challenge however, is one of the reasons I love getting the Good Food Box.

I have also recently been trying to use my 'new' slow cooker more often and so I went in search of a recipe for cabbage in the slow cooker. You may have already guessed that I came across lazy cabbage rolls. So here I am, at home on a Sunday evening and I am planning to get my lazy cabbage rolls prepared in the morning for supper tomorrow. I have included the recipe from SparkPeople below and I have already chopped my vegetables for quick preparation before work tomorrow morning.


Enjoy!
Steph Wheler, RD
www.nutrishus.com
Link
Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole

Nutrition Info
  • Calories: 223.6
  • Fat: 5.8g
  • Carbohydrates: 26.6g
  • Protein: 19.1g

Ingredients

1 lbs ground turkey
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
6 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

*You may use ground beef if you wish, but this recipe was calculated using ground turkey.

Directions

In frypan, brown turkey and add onion, green pepper, worcestershire, thyme, garlic, and salt. Cook and stir for a few minutes until well mixed and warm throughout. Stir in tomatoes and uncooked rice and heat until bubbling. Scatter cabbage loosly in slow cooker and pour meat mixture on top. Cook on low 6-8 hrs or high 4-6hrs. Top with parmesan cheese just before serving.

Number of Servings: 6

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MANDY13102.