Saturday, November 19, 2011

Wise Comforts

Earlier this week I took part in a twitter chat focused on modifying comfort foods to be healthier.  I received lots of great ideas to use in the kitchen (and likely share with you).  Oddly enough, the next day it snowed and got cold - actually starting to feel like winter here.  I know it made me start thinking about warm foods I wanted to have.  I really wanted hot chocolate yesterday which inspired me to show you a comparison of some warm drinks (I made mine at home in case you were wondering).

Since McDonalds has been strongly advertising their McCafe beverages, I thought I would take a look at them.  Some of you may prefer not to know what you're getting, but I like to be informed.  As always, I am not saying you can never have the higher Calorie, fat, or sugar option, but choose wisely, choose appropriate portions, and consider how frequently you indulge yourself.  Fluid Calories can add up quite quickly without us even noticing.  If you are choosing black coffee or tea and adding your own cream and sugar, remember that a sugar packet is about 15 Calories (from 4-5g of sugar), and a half and half creamer is also about 15 Calories (with 2g of fat).

This chart below shows the Calories, fat (g), and sugar (g) for size medium with skim milk from the McDonalds Nutrition Calculator.  Going with 2% milk add about 40-50 Calories to each drink.

Steph Wheler, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com




Calories
Fat (g)
Sugar (g)
Cappuccino
60
0
9
Caramel Cappuccino
120
0
24
Vanilla Cappuccino
120
0
26
Caramel Latte
150
0
29
Deluxe Hot Chocolate
250
5
38
Americano
5
0
0
Latte
80
0
12
Vanilla Latte
150
0
30
Mocha
230
5
34