Friday, December 9, 2011

More Cabbage - Crockpot Cabbage Beef Soup

It was a busy week, but I made a large batch of soup that got us through at least 3 meals (and gave me a chance to use my slow cooker again).  I find that many of my clients are asking for big batch meals or really like to use a crockpot/slow cooker - so I am aiming to find meal ideas to share.  

Once again I was challenged to find a cabbage recipe this week.  We still have some cabbage in the freezer, but I used a fresh one for the recipe below.  Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable and is related to kale, broccoli, collards, and Brussels sprouts.  One half cup of shredded, raw green cabbage has only 9 Calories!

In my opinion the soup was quite good and reminded me of homemade hamburger soup, but with some CABBAGE!  I found this one on food.com - there are lots of options out there, so feel free to share your favourite cabbage soup recipe if you have one.

Ingredients

    • 1/2 lb lean ground beef
    • 1 onions, chopped
    • 2 carrots, chopped
    • 2 celery ribs, chopped
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 (14 ounce) tomato sauce
    • 2 (14 ounce) tomatoes, diced
    • 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
    • salt and pepper

Directions

  1. In a skillet brown ground beef.  Drain well.
  2. Place chopped onion, carrots and celery in bottom of crock pot. Add garlic powder, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, tomatoes and cabbage.
  3. Add browned ground beef. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Turn crock pot on to low and cook 6 to 7 hours.
  5. Serve and enjoy! 
Steph Wheler, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching