Monday, February 27, 2012

Warm Winter Soup

I've been in a soup mood lately.  I'm not sure if it is based on our recent snow fall or the new recipes that I came across.  My husband had returned from a business trip to Yorkton with bags of legumes and grains and recipes for how to prepare them.  I must say that I really like that Tourism Yorkton is doing that - not only is it supporting healthy eating andcooking at home, but also local farmers.  Each bag had a recipe and a note saying where the item came from. 

In case any of you have been in soup moods, I thought I would share one today.  This was my first crack at split pea soup, but a great winter soup since you can get split peas year round.  Split peas are dried peas produced by harvesting the peapods when they are fully mature and then drying them. Once they are dried and the skins removed, they split naturally (WHFoods).  Dried peas are part of the legume family and provide fibre (which helps lower cholesterol and manage blood sugar levels), molybdenum, protein, manganese, folate, thiamin, potassium, and folate.

Split Pea Soup
1 cup split peas, rinsed
3 cups cold water
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (I use low sodium)
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk with leaves, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional; so I used 1/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash each of parsley, thyme, marjoram, and cayenne pepper

In a large pot, add peas with 3 cups cold water.  Bring the water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until split peas are tender (I went above a simmer/a low boil).

Add chicken broth, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, bay leaf, and all spices.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for another 1/2 hour or until carrots are soft.

Remove bay leaf and cool slightly.  Puree in a blender or use a hand blender for a smooth soup (or leave as is).

Serves 4.

I love using different herbs and spices rather than relying on salt (sodium). 

Enjoy!
Steph (Wheler) Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com