Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gadgets to Gather or Go?

Last year for Christmas I was treated to a Kitchenaid mixer - a great gift from my man and something I likely wouldn't have purchased for myself. 

I work with food, I love cooking, and I enjoy eating food.  So with Christmas in mind I'm starting to think of little gadgets I could ask for to help me complete or round out my kitchen.  I received lots of different items at my bridal shower in January, so I'm struggling to think of what I might be missing.  I think we even made my sister-in-law guess what the gadgets were for at her bridal shower!

It's the fine line between having items you may only ever use once and discovering that one piece that makes prepping that much easier and you wonder how you ever got by without it. 

From garlic peelers, banana guards, ramekins, food scales, pepper mills, food processors, and coffee presses to ninjabread men, there are so many items that can end up in your cupboards or collecting dust.  For fun gifts, I like items from Fred & friends because they can be practical as well as unique (ie ice cube trays and toothpick holders). 

According to TLC's Top 10 Must-have Cooking Tools, I am set.  They list:
  • strainer
  • wooden spoons
  • thermometer
  • peeler
  • whisk
  • kitchen shears
  • measuring cups and spoons
  • mixing bowls
  • cast iron skillets and pans
  • knives
So today, since it's Q's Day, I am asking:

What tool/gadget is a must-have in your kitchen?

Feel free to comment on an item you don't even know the purpose of or an item you know you could live without.

We use knives, cutting boards, and wooden spoons on an almost daily basis, but I probably don't need the citrus peeler that sits in my drawer.

Happy cooking!

Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com