Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Win Everyday

When I was out for coffee with a close friend last week she mentioned a new app that she's been using.  It's called WinStreak.  It reminded me of the idea of a gratitude journal and sort of a forced reflection on the day. 

I've been sharing videos on facebook and quotes on Pinterest regarding gratitude lately as I reflect on the overall well being of individuals (since nutrition and healthy eating are just one component of health).  Too often we are thinking ahead about what comes next, rather than ever being in the moment and enjoying how far we've come.  One quote I saw months ago said this really well:

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.”

― Epicurus

 
As someone with a achiever-type personality, I often get caught striving for the next thing.  I am also a list maker and I love to check things off (some of you know what I mean!) and feel a sense of accomplishment.  In a society that seems to be about showing off with the newest car or biggest house, it can be hard to remember all the things we have to be thankful or grateful for.  We have so much even though we're often wanting more.  In my household we try to focus on experiences rather than things as we strive to live our best life.  
 
Whether you use an app, a journal, or have a conversation, the idea of daily wins is a great way to keep perspective and also stay motivated, especially when your wins are related to your current goals.
 
Do you have a favourite app that helps you be the best you?
 
That's a win! (posted a blog)
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching