Thursday, April 17, 2014

Egg-cellent Easter

Those who know me, or read my posts, will know that I like to challenge our habits. When it comes to things like holiday weekends, I like to think of new ways to be healthy and still enjoy great food. I know we are fortunate enough to be invited for two family meals this weekend and I'm sure there will be some chocolate around. I'm also counting on some warmer weather, so that we can get outside and enjoy the fresh spring air.


Easter doesn't have to just be a feast and loads of chocolate or jelly beans. It can be a time to celebrate spring vegetables and fruit with new recipes. Or a chance to think of themes, like I do - for me, Easter is eggs and carrots. So today I thought I would share a few egg ideas that may inspire you this long weekend.

Eggs are a great, quick protein to add to any meal or snack. One large egg has 6g of protein, 70 calories, and 14 key nutrients (including iron, vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin B12, folate, protein, selenium, and choline). They are also very versatile and can help you get vegetables into your day if you're creating things like omelets or frittatas. I have a few recipes on my Pinterest page that I have tried and enjoyed:
- spinach, mushroom, feta frittata
- mini quiche
- quinoa, egg, avocado, and edamame

With eggs in mind, I recently came across a Canadian Lentil recipe that I tried for lunch today. See below for the recipe and share your favourite Easter food traditions or egg dishes in the comments.

Top of the Mornin' Lentil Frittata

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients


  • 1 Tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
  • 2 (whole) shallots, thinly sliced
  • 2 (whole) cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1½cup (375 mL) chopped kale
  • 1 (whole) green bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup (250 mL) fully cooked lentils or canned lentils, drained and rinsed
  • 8 (whole) eggs, whisked
  • ¼ cup (60 mL) 2% milk
  • dash sea salt and ground black pepper
  • ½ cup (125 mL) shredded aged cheddar cheese
  • 2 Tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
  • to taste salt and ground black pepper

Directions

1. Heat the oven to 350˚F. In a 9-inch, deep, oven-proof skillet, sauté the shallot and garlic in butter until golden. Add the kale and green pepper and sauté until rendered. Add the cooked lentils and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper together. Add the egg mixture to the skillet. Gently stir the mixture once. Cover the skillet and cook on low-medium heat until the
sides are slightly golden (the centre will still be runny).

3. Remove the lid, sprinkle the cheese over the frittata and bake in the oven until the centre is no longer runny. Use the broil option if available to add additional browning to the top of the frittata. Set to rest for 5 minutes.

4. Garnish with parsley or cilantro, and season with salt and pepper.

5. Cut into wedges and enjoy!

 
Happy Easter!

Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com