Friday, August 15, 2014

Simply Enjoying the Weekend


Continuing with the theme of mindfulness, minimalism, and moderation, I wanted to share a few things I do to simplify my life. This simplification helps me enjoy each moment more and be able to spend more time doing the things I want to be doing. I am a list maker, and I hope that with a continued focus on these goals I will be able to reduce the size of my 'to do list' and spend more time on my passions. My own challenge is to not spend all my time ticking items off my list, but to get back to living each moment :)

If minimalism is something you're interested in, there are lots of blogs about it. A few that I've been reading (or trying to find time to read; hence why I need to minimize things!) include:
One thing I like about the minimalist movement is that there is no one definition of a minimalist person. We can all be minimal in our own way, just as moderation and mindfulness apply differently to our unique lifestyles. 

We only have so many second, minutes, hours, and days. I want to spend mine doing the things I love and with the people I care about. I want to continue to enjoy moments, experiences, good books, and great food, so I need to make that a priority in my life.

In my last post I talked about comparing ourselves to others, but at times we also try to live up to other people's standards. I want to live my life, not the life someone thinks I should live. So here are a few things I've already done or already do to simplify my life:
  • Donate items (such as clothes, books, etc.) to organizations (such as Community Living, the Opportunity Shop, etc.) - if I'm not using it, someone else should
  • Set things aside to see how often I use them - last winter I cleaned out the kitchen and put a box of items in storage, a few months later when I hadn't needed them I donated them or gave them to friends who had uses for them since I obviously didn't
  • Change gift giving traditions - my husband and I often try to purchase experiences or save up for a trip in lieu of gifts and on one side of our family we either only purchase a Christmas gift for one individual or all chip in and donate to a specific cause/charity rather than buying more stuff
  • Go through my closet every few months to see what I haven't worn in awhile and decide whether to start wearing it, alter it, or donate it
  • Clear papers out of my office and attempt to do more things on my computer
  • Go through drawers and get rid of pens that don't even work anymore
  • Make extra at supper so that we can enjoy leftovers for lunches
  • Plan out my weekly groceries so that I get what I need and will use
  • Prep for a few meals when I do get a chance to be in the kitchen
I'm sure there are more things, but this is also just the start of my journey into being mindful of being minimal. I am an organized person and I like things to have a place, so I think that helps me get started. What do you do to simplify your life?

Since it's Friday, I encourage you to enjoy your weekend and actually be in the moment. I know I have lots to look forward to (even if it's just a few ticks on the to do list) and I'm grateful for that.

TGIF
Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus counselling & coaching
www.nutrishus.com