Thursday, March 19, 2015

Not today, not this month, all year...

I had 'dreams' of posting this on St. Patrick's Day, but alas, my little one decided she wanted to be held and needed mommy (so of course I obliged). It gave me lots of time to think about what I wanted to share. Then came Dietitian's Day and I totally agree with what a follower wrote on my facebook page - nutrition month should be all year. {Then I found some time one evening and thought I scheduled this post to go out last week, but now I find it sitting here as a draft...}

I have quite a few people in my life that have been or are going on hot holidays (we stayed home this winter due to the little one) and I know that many people use a holiday, or the fact that summer is coming, or their wedding is approaching, etc. as a goal for getting healthy or losing weight. This brings me back to some of my favourite words - moderation and mindfulness. Why not strive for balance (not perfection) and a lifestyle you can lead/live all year long?

Leafy greens and other green veggies are important to us all year, not just on St. Patty's Day when folk like me think of all kinds of green food. I like to make any holiday into a 'fun with food' type of day, whether that is playing with the actual theme or festive colours.

Since green is on my mind, I wanted to share a few recipes with you. I recently tried these Popeye muffins from the green forks and loved the colour as well as the fact that they taste like banana muffins.
We've also made Alton Brown's guacamole for a variety of potlucks and sporting events. Another favourite that we often come back to is roasted broccoli with shrimp. I also enjoy adding greens to smoothies (I froze some 'pucks' of extra spinach for this purpose), eggs, and soups, such as with my lucky New Year's soup.


At a close friend's (and great cook) house we were treated to Jamie Oliver's Jiggy Jiggy Greens - which I still have yet to try to make at home.
So what's the deal with greens? This time of year I find that more people start turning to salads, so perhaps you just want to change things up a bit or perhaps you're not sure how to store them or use them (ie. recipes). EatRight Ontario has a great collection and a few tips on these nutrient dense veggies.

Let me know if you had any 'fun with food' this week or how you're getting in your greens this year. Don't forget to check out my instagram feed to see what's going on in my life, kitchen, and mind these days!

Easter is coming, what will you come up with?
Cheers,
Steph Langdon, RD
www.mutrishus.com