Friday, July 24, 2015

6 Words That Currently Define Me...

There may be certain words, phrases, quotes, or terms that resonate with you and stick with you. Sometimes I read a quote and it feels like it was written for me, or that the person was saying it to me; it feels like that's what I needed to read/hear in that moment. Quotes definitely inspire me, give me perspective, and help me stay on my path to becoming the best version of myself. At times I wonder (and my husband wonders) where my ideas/thoughts come from, as he and I think very differently about a few things.
I've been thinking about moderation, minimalism, and mindfulness lately. These words, along with happiness, health, and habits (yes, I like alliteration) seem to be terms that I come back to and that help me focus my efforts, my blog posts, and the work I choose to accept and pursue. These words might not speak to you, but they speak to me. In the 'cheesy' sense, I thought I would actually define them for you today. I say 'cheesy' because it makes me think of wedding moments on television "webster's dictionary defines love as..." (you know what I mean). Since I use these words often, I thought it was a good idea to check out their definitions to make sure they say/mean what I want them to.

  1. moderation: (moderate): average in size or amount -neither too much nor too little; neither very good nor very bad; not expensive - not too high in price; avoiding extremes of behavior or expression -  observing reasonable limits
  2. minimalism a style or technique (as in music, literature, or design) that is characterized by extreme spareness and simplicity
  3. mindfulnessthe quality or state of being mindfulthe practice of maintaining a nonjudgmental state of heightened or complete awareness of one's thoughts, emotions, or experiences on a moment-to-moment basis; also :  such a state of awareness
  4. happinessthe state of being happy; an experience that makes you happy (*not a surprising definition, but I do appreciate that it says experience - not a thing)
  5. healththe condition of being sound in body, mind, or spirit; especially :  freedom from physical disease or pain; the general condition of the body; flourishing condition (well-being)
  6. habitsa usual way of behaving : something that a person does often in a regular and repeated way



I also like the terms inspiration, motivation, etc. but I don't think I need to keep defining things for you, I just thought this would be an interesting activity.

Do you have terms that guide you or help you through your day (or this journey we call life)?

Steph Langdon, RD
something nutrishus
www.nutrishus.com