Sunday, October 11, 2015

Day 11: A Feast

Today we're hosting our second Canadian Thanksgiving. It will also be our daughter's first Thanksgiving. It's going to be an intimate gathering of our immediate family. We often see relatives on holidays such as Thanksgiving, but we have also been away for sports or work or vacation. We spent American Thanksgiving in 2013 in Lake Tahoe, California, which was a pretty amazing and unforgettable experience. I know I'll remember this one too, because it's our daughter's first and our first in our new home.


Of course, our gracious guests are bringing food to share, and I know there won't be a shortage. I'm already even planning recipes for the leftovers we'll have next week (I think about food a lot!). It's a time to gather and enjoy family and food. I know that we're fortunate that our families get along and live close by. We're also fortunate to be able to enjoy a bounty of food and even be particular about what we consume.

Today I'm grateful for: enough food to fill our plates and bellies

I don't know what it's like to truly go hungry or experience food insecurity. Obviously it is difficult if not impossible to be healthy when you can't afford or lack access to nutritious food. I struggle with the extremes we have today of poverty and obesity (and disordered eating), both potentially lacking nourishing and nutrient dense food. To have long travel days or forget to pack a snack is definitely not even close. We have enough food in the world, but our distribution channels just can't get it where it's needed. Then there are also people with allergies and intolerances who may not be able to eat if the appropriate options aren't available. We are lucky that doesn't directly affect us, beyond a bit of lactose intolerance in relatives and a few friends that are gluten free. I know I will enjoy preparing and eating our food today, as well as the company that comes with it. I just want to keep things in perspective because I know many people won't have such a day. I have a roof over my head, a variety of foods to choose from, and loved ones, thus it's easier for me to strive to be my best self, because me basic needs are being met.

Enjoy every bite and be in the moment as you're thankful today!
Happy Thanksgiving,
Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com