Thursday, October 15, 2015

Day 15: The Land of Living Skies

My work sometimes takes me all over the province. While I love to travel, I didn't think I would be seeing so many parts of Saskatchewan. Due to our snowy and cold winters, I try to plan my trips to hit the best road conditions I can. Since it's my travel season right now, I thought about this post while watching the sun come up while heading to a new destination.


It's great to meet people all over the prairies. I'm a city girl, but Saskatchewan city people are still a little bit country I think. From the other places I have travelled, I do realize how friendly and polite people here are. I could be out walking the dog or jogging with my daughter and will get a friendly hello (although I must admit, not everyone in my neighbourhood stops for pedestrians, so I guess we've still got some work to do). I think I've also heard that we have some of the best volunteers!


I'm proud to be from Saskatchewan and even have a tiger lily in my tattoo. I always felt I had to defend our province when I would meet athletes from around the country. Saskatchewan is flat, boring, farm land they would say. I know I'm biased, and I know I'll complain a few days this winter and wonder why I live here when it gets so cold, but it's home and has a lot to offer.


I keep learning more about our agriculture and what we produce here. As a dietitian I've started consulting for some of our local commodities and it adds to my pride. I do of course also love our Saskatoon berries and am fortunate to be able to pick and enjoy them right behind our cabin. There are still many local sites that I've never seen and many places to explore. I hope we're able to take weekend road trips with our daughter to share what Saskatchewan has to offer and to #ExploreSask. We've already taken her to Beaver Creek, Pike Lake, and Wanuskewin Heritage Park.


It may be a hard word to pronounce, but we have a lot to be grateful here. It's home to me and still contains some of the best Northern Lights and sunsets I've ever seen.

I am grateful for: the flatness of the prairies and the sights that come with the landscape

If you haven't been, I suggest you visit, but probably in the spring/summer/fall when the air is warmer, festivals are happening, and river walks can be enjoyed along with the people and food.

Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com