Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Day 6: A Good Book

I love a good book. I never feel guilty buying books or reading material. I used to read piles of books in the summer (nerd? bookworm?). I still think I will find time to read between fulfilling all my adult roles (mother, wife, entrepreneur, etc.). I do have a few books on e-book (an attempt at minimizing), but I still like turning actual pages. I donate books from time to time, but I like to keep certain ones, and plan to go back through them (with all that 'free' time I have...haha). I would also say that I'm a slow reader; I try to retain it all!


Once I got more into my studies (the joys of growing up) I read less for pleasure as I was reading so much for school. I am still trying to get back into it and find a good balance. My husband wasn’t much of a reader until we backpacked through Costa Rica. We would trade our books for other used books or pay a small fee for the really good titles and then chill out on the beach or at our hostel and read. He read more to learn and continues to do that to this day. I still enjoy stories and non-fiction as a little escape (definitely my preference to watching television).

However, with my profession, my passion for wellness, and a thirst for knowledge, I also have lots of habit, nutrition, mindful, and personal development books. My husband also recommends books to me, so I have quite a long 'to read' list. I am optimistic that I will find the time. I'm also working on trying to prioritize my day and make use of my daughter's nap time to read books or research instead of checking emails or social media.

I am grateful for: literacy and having time to read for business or pleasure

I think it's funny when you travel and they ask "business or pleasure" possibly because I aim to love what I do for a living (so it's both). My business has evolved a lot over the last 5 years, and I know it will continue to as I continue to. I am more aware of other important things, and am trying not to work too much (as I type this at 9:30pm). Finding time to read feels like it will be a symbol of how I've structured my time to do the things I want to, which also helps me with various other goals.

____________

Just because: A few favourite books from my child- and adulthood include, but are not limited to: The Giver, Bridge to Terrabithia, Tipping Point, Habits, The Happiness Project, The Alchemist, Mindless Eating, The Chronicles of Narnia, and the Harry Potter series.

Are you an avid reader or trying to be one? Do you have a long 'to read' list? I'd love to know what's on it. There are so many books in the world, so I find it useful to go off personal recommendations.

Happy reading!
Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com