Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What RDs Do: Olivia Siswanto, RD, MSc, CDE

OLIVIA SISWANTO
DIABETES EDUCATOR
for something nutrishus


Today we are featuring Ontario based, Olivia Siswanto. She is excited and passionate about the profession, her work and research in diabetes, and the endless opportunities ahead. Olivia has advanced training and education in her role and is a certified Craving Change facilitator like me.

Why did you become a RD?

I learned about diabetes during a biochemistry lecture in university and I was fascinated by the story of the discovery of insulin. The Canadian researchers who discovered insulin decided not to patent their discovery so that people living with diabetes can be “cured”! Then I realized that food plays a huge role in the management of diabetes. After learning about the dietetic profession and the role of dietitians in preventing and managing diabetes, I was convinced that this is the career I want to pursue.

What area of dietetics do you work in?

I work at a diabetes education centre.

How would you explain what you do?

Same answer as below

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

I do different things every day – this is why I love my job. I provide group education classes for gestational diabetes, emotional eating, and weight management. I also see patients one-on-one, together with a nurse, or with one of our endocrinologists. I am also involved in practice-based research. We will be presenting our research findings at the World Diabetes Congress this December – I’m super excited for this!

What has been your career path?

This is my very first job as a dietitian and I am excited to see where this journey will take me.

What advanced education or special training do you have?

I have a master’s degree in nutrition (MScFN) from Western University in London, ON, and I am a licensed Craving Change facilitator and a Certified Diabetes Educator.

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?
I would like to see:
- More technology incorporated into our practice
- Most if not all Canadians have access to dietitians’ services
- A revamped food guide!

What are you passionate about in dietetics?

There are so many things you can do in this field, from working directly with patients in a clinical setting to starting your own business; the opportunity is endless! Sometimes we just have to be bold enough to carve our own pathways.

More about Olivia:
Twitter: @dietitianolivia
Instagram: @dietitianolivia

Thanks Olivia! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!