Tuesday, January 5, 2016

What RDs Do: Marjorie Geiser, RD, MBA, BCC

MARJORIE GEISER
BUSINESS COACH - MEG ENTERPRISES
for something nutrishus


Marjorie is a dietitian that no longer provides nutrition services. She has gone from a hospital setting, to in-home counselling, to virtual business coaching - which includes coaching other dietitians. She is living the life she dreamed and passionate about helping others to do the same.

Why did you become a RD?

I wanted to work with clients in my own business.

What area of dietetics do you work in?

When I started, I worked at a county teaching hospital, covering all departments. By year 5, I received my nutrition support certification. By year 6, however, I was ready to quit and start my own business.

From 1996 to 2010, I ran MEG Fitness, providing in-home personal fitness training to previously unfit adults, as well as sport nutrition counselling to amateur athletes.

In 2003, I started my coach training, which led me to start coaching other health professionals who wanted to start a business. That led me back to school to get my MBA (Master of Business Administration) in Entrepreneurship, to write my first book, “Just Jump,” and to start MEG Enterprises.

After setting up systems, processes and a clear, consistent plan, today I work 3 days a week, making over 6 figures a year. And this is what I help others set up, too.

How would you explain what you do?


I help dietitians and other health professionals and coaches create the businesses of their dreams.

I do this through my book, “Just Jump: The No-Fear Business Start-up Guide for Health and Fitness Professionals,” I am a CPE (continuing professional education) provider through CDR (Commission on Dietetic Registration), and have multiple home study courses, I offer several products that include group support, a low-cost membership program for start-ups, and work with just a limited number of private clients. I also speak around the country to various dietetic groups.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

I have a team of 6 who manage all but the tasks I like, which allow me to work 3 days a week.

I work with clients virtually (mostly over the phone and Skype), I create new programs, products and services, and I plan out the year of what to offer and when. I collaborate with partners on various projects, primarily, as a CPE provider through CDR, courses for RDs.

I also spend time writing and networking. I have a very clear schedule: Mondays are blog days, Tuesday is off, Wednesday I work on projects, and Thursday is the day I write my weekly newsletter. Fridays and the weekends are off.

What has been your career path?

I started working in a hospital as a clinical dietitian. When I found myself butting heads with the docs over them questioning my area of expertise, I started looking around for what was next. By that time, I was exclusively working with trauma and neurosurgery patients, most of whom required nutrition support.

When I originally went back to school to get my nutrition degree, I had a vision of working for myself. I had lost that vision of working at the hospital, but when I realized my job was no longer fun, I did some major soul-searching and came back to my original vision, which now had ‘legs.’

I put my plan in place, and quit my job in June of 1996, starting MEG Fitness.

Today, I am doing exactly what I love doing, helping people create their dreams, and making a difference in the world. My vision has always been to help people live up to their potential.

But, I feel I can’t address this question without including this: None of us are really ‘stuck’ in a job. We TELL ourselves we are, mostly because of fear; fear of the unknown, of what the future will bring if we were to risk.

What advanced education or special training do you have?
  • MBA with emphasis in entrepreneurship
  • Board Certified Coach (BCC)
  • Coach training through Coach Training Institute (CTI)


In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

Dietitians in both business and as employees are making more money, understand marketing, and are known as THE experts in helping people achieve their health-related goals.

What misinformation about RDs would you like to clear up?


People think RDs are just people who work in hospitals (“wear a hair net”). They don’t know what RDs do, but they CAN tell you what nutritionists do! When you ask them who they’d rather see, they will say a nutritionist. That needs to change.

What are challenges you encounter as a RD?

I don’t at all, because I have never felt that being an RD was LIMITING me. I feel that my education has allowed me to strive for all I imagine.

I WILL say that people just don’t know what an RD is, so often today, I’ll explain it as a ‘nutritionist,’ lol. They know that one!

What are you passionate about in dietetics?

TOTALLY am! I am a HUGE advocate for getting more RDs out into the market place AND to help them raise their income level! Too many RDs think they can’t make a lot of money. That is NOT true.

What makes RDs unique/different from other nutrition/wellness professionals?

They really are THE nutrition experts. Other health professionals get a TOUCH of nutrition education. They don’t understand it in their bones like RDs do. And the value of becoming an RD is the internship; that’s what sets them apart from professionals who just call themselves ‘nutritionists.’

Also, after working with literally HUNDREDS of RDs through these last 10 years, I have to say that RDs have an unlimited capacity to rise BEYOND what they think they’re capable of. They are willing learners. They are driven when pushed. They are extremely honest and ethical. They tend to be perfectionists (thus, I teach them “Completion, not perfection” to get things done), and would prefer to research to the end of their days.

What tip(s) would you give to our readers?


If you have a dream, go for it! It seems tragic to me to think of ANYONE looking back at their life with regrets for not doing something they dreamed of doing. Life is way, way too short.

More about Marjorie:

Facebook: MEG Enterprises
Twitter: @megfit
LinkedIn: Marjorie Geiser, MBA, RD, BCC

Thanks Marjorie! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!