Wednesday, April 13, 2016

What RDs Do: Abby Langer, RD

ABBY LANGER
ABBY LANGER NUTRITION, 
URBAN FAMILY HEALTH TEAM
for something nutrishus


Abby is a fellow Canadian private practice dietitian and another food-loving RD. I came across a few of her posts last year and love her philosophy of sustainability, balance, and uncomplicated enjoyment of food. She is a well known media dietitian (on Huffington Post, etc.) and shares her strong opinions with a scientific backing and often a bit of humour!


Why did you become a RD? 

I was actually going to be a lawyer, but I decided I wanted to talk about food all day instead of laws.

What area of dietetics do you work in?

I’m in private practice, media, culinary, and I’m part-time in a primary care clinic.

How would you explain what you do? 

As I tell my kids, ‘I teach people how to eat properly’, which isn’t even right. Actually, what I do is teach people how to make healthy food choices, and I also uncomplicate food for people.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks? 

I’m sort of a content machine. Typically, on any given day, I’m writing content, developing a recipe, taking photographs of my food, and seeing clients. I also do non-nutrition related stuff like pick-up my kids from school and go running. It’s all about balance, yo!

What has been your career path? 

Inpatient for years and years – I’m basically an ICU dietitian who lost her way lol – then outpatient, combined with homecare, then private practice/media/culinary stuff.

What advanced education or special training do you have? 

I can’t think of anything, is that bad?

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now? 

Dietitians will be highly regarded as the first choice for nutrition information. We’ll be able to sell ourselves better, speak up for what we believe in, and not be afraid to look - and practice - outside of the box.

What are you passionate about in dietetics? 

You know, I think the media, including social media, along with other non-RD sources, really complicate food and the whole concept of eating so much. It’s really not complicated at all. I love the look of relief on peoples’ faces when I break it all down to them and make nutrition easy for them. When I show people that it’s okay – and actually really fun - to enjoy food – cooking it, eating it – it makes what I do worthwhile.

What is your favourite meal? 

I love vegetables, I love fish, I love black beans. But I know your readers expect me to say something like that, so I’ll tell you what I really love, which is cake. Okay, maybe a cheeseburger and fries, and then cake. God I love food.

What tip(s) would you give to our readers? 

Enjoy food. Stop punishing your body for not looking the way society thinks it should look. Choose to eat beautiful, fresh food that’s not ultra-processed. Teach yourself to revel in what whole food should taste, feel, and look like. Life is too short to worry about 1% vs 2% yogurt – just eat real, whole foods, have a piece of cake every now and then, and get over it.

More about Abby:

Twitter: @langernutrition
Facebook: Abby Langer Nutrition
Pinterest: abby langer
Instagram: @langernutrition
LinkedIn: Abby Langer Nutrition
Blog: Abby Langer Nutrition


Thanks Abby! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!