Tuesday, May 10, 2016

9 Dietitians Tips for Finding the Time

As I said, time has been on my mind. I try to prioritize my time, spend my time wisely, not waste time, etc. but a lot of that is subjective and I doubt I'll ever feel like there's enough time for certain things. For example, I enjoy reading, yet it falls low on my list and I often run out of time (ie. my child wakes from a nap). I have prioritized certain things (ie. not cancelling workouts/exercise and home cooked meals) and I have cut certain things out when they no longer serve a purpose.

I talk about mindfulness and minimalism, but it's not just the clutter, it could be the groups, activities, etc. that take time and really are not helping you move towards being your best self. It's hard to say no or to 'define' yourself when society encourages us to be a certain way and do certain things. It's become 'normal' to be busy, but I don't want that to define me. I want to feel like I have time to do what I enjoy doing, because we only get so much time. I also think we need to reorganize/re-prioritize and take time for ourselves, be that to nourish ourselves, to relax, to de-stress, or to workout.

To help you manage your time (or perhaps drop the excuse that you don't have time for your health), I asked fellow dietitians for their time saving tips/tricks/hacks to help you break down the barrier.


1. Meal plan, but start "small, simple, and slow"... (read more: How to Simplify Meal Planning)
Dixya Bhattarai, RDN, Food, Pleasure & Health

2. "Free online workout videos are one of my favorite high efficiency ways to get a quick workout in on busy days, even with kids sleeping or playing in the next room"... (read more: 25 Free Full Body Workout Videos (15 Mins or Less)
Dena Norton, MS, RD, Back to the Book Nutrition

3. "If you're not already exercising chunk it down to 10 min at a time to make it easier to fit into an already busy schedule and slowly expand the time."... (read more: Find the Time: 10-Minute Exercise Routines)
Meri Asterino Raffetto, RDN, Real Living Nutrition


4. "Build food traditions that help you create a better attitude around cooking and making time for it"...(read more: BYO Holiday Food Traditions)
Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian 


5. "I make lunch and snacks the night before. I also make a big batch of granola and always make double dinners so that I have for leftovers and for the week. I can make soup and quick dinners also in half an hour using my food processor to chop veggies and herbs!!"
Madeline Basler, RDN, Real You Nutrition

6. "I love the quote that 30 minutes (for a workout) is just 2% of your day!"
Katie Proctor, RDN, Elevate With Katie

7. "Spend 30 minutes over the weekend planning out your meals for the week. That 30 minutes eliminates so much stress throughout the week!"
Allison Stevens, MS, RD, Chef,  Prep Dish

8. "Make extra portions of meals and freeze them. When you eat them weeks later, they'll seem new, and you will have saved time in the prep process. You can do this and have a regular rotation of 'new' meals."
Amy Gorin, MS, RDN, Amy Gorin Nutrition

9. "Take time out of your day, perhaps on the weekend when life is less hectic, and plan out your meals for the week. And fill out a supermarket shopping list, so when you go to the grocery store, you spend your time efficiently." (download her 7-Day Meal Planner and Supermarket Shopping List)
Liz Weiss, MS, RD, Meal Makeover Moms 

How do you find time for your health? Tell us below and enjoy all the time you've saved!

Cheers,
Steph Langdon, RD
www.nutrishus.com