Tuesday, August 30, 2016

What RDs Do: Jing Liu, MS, RD


JING LIU
NUTRIENERGY WORKS
for something nutrishus


Working in the hot topic area of mindfulness, I love that Jing focuses on health and happiness and the fact that she takes one day a week for herself (that & meditation are still on my to-do list!). We see dietitians working on interdisciplinary teams and having holistic approaches, here Jing really reminds us to be fully present and keep our mind aware when it comes to nourishment and health. 

Why did you become a RD?

I became a RD because I liked everything a RD can do to improve people’s quality of life.

What area of dietetics do you work in?

I work in the areas of clinical nutrition, community nutrition and nutrition education.

How would you explain what you do?

I help people to understand different contributions to their health issues, gain awareness of results of their choices, and be empowered for new options to achieve healthier and happier journey in life.

What are your ‘typical’ daily/weekly tasks?

  • I counsel patients on an individual basis and teach group workshops in a community medical center two full days and two mornings a week.
  • I conduct mindfulness meditation sessions via Skype to help adults rejuvenate their energy level about two times a week. These sessions helped my clients and I to reduce intake of caffeine and sugar. They also helped to improve quality of sleep over the years.
  • I write an article on mindful nutrition care and lead a mindful wellness group once a month.
  • I rest, meditate, garden and do my chores every Thursday.

What has been your career path?

I started my career path in year 2000 with clinical nutrition (skilled nursing facilities & hospital). In 2003, I replaced SNF jobs with community nutrition (community medical center). Later, I replaced hospital work with nutrition education & consultation work. In recent years, I integrated mindfulness into my clinical/community nutrition education.

What advanced education or special training do you have?


In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

There would be a system in place for people to seek nutritional care before they are prescribed medication for many health issues.

What misinformation about RDs would you like to clear up?

RDs services are not only for body weight problems.

What would you like people to know about RDs?

RD services can be for the wellness of a person’s whole body and wellbeing.

What are challenges you encounter as a RD?

People’s perception of RDs as judgmental, strict, and having unrealistic recommendations.

What do people think that you do for a living?

Before was just to help people lose weight, now is also teaching people of how to be calm and raise a calm child because of my mindfulness services.

What are you passionate about in dietetics?

Dietetics helps people to work on the foundation of their health. It enables people to be connected with themselves, their environment and everything they experience. Ultimately, live the most of their lives. That is joy to me.

What makes RDs unique/different from other nutrition/wellness professionals?

RDs have the intense and comprehensive training to make connections of one’s health concerns to the whole body, experiences with the environment and food industries, and provide step by step guidance to improve one’s health through a process. Most nutrition/wellness professionals tend to have limited education and training, may offer solutions for results that do not last and often could not help people in gaining long term self-care skills.

What is your favourite meal?

Every meal is my favorite. I try to take my time and enjoy every bite I take in nourishing myself, as many people call it mindful eating.

What tip(s) would you give to our readers?

  • Choose what you put into your mouth with your stomach and your mind.
  • Notice how you are being affected by what is outside of your mind and body as you make your choices.
  • Give yourself a chance and go talk to one or more RDs for your own information.

Anything else you’d like to add that you feel would be valuable:

A note to remember: Good nutrition is a major part of a healthy lifestyle and healthy lifestyle is the foundation for a healthy and happy life. Enjoy!

More about Jing:

Owner: NutriEnergy Works
Website: nutriNRGworks
Phone: (510) 336 – 6039
E-mail: jing@nutriNRGworks.com
Facebook: NutriEnergy Works
Twitter: @NutriEnergyWork
LinkedIn: Jing Liu
MeetUp group: Mindfulness Wellness
Thanks Jing! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!