Tuesday, September 13, 2016

What RDs Do: Abiade Ogunsola MS, RD, LDN

ABIADE OGUNSOLA
RESTORING HEALTH NUTRITION 
for something nutrishus

Abiade is passionate about helping and empowering people; personality traits that I think draw many people to this profession (along with our love of cooking and food). She supports people in managing chronic medical conditions through self management. I agree with her that ideally we won't see such nutritional extremes in the future. 

Why did you become a RD?

I have a passion for helping people live a healthy life. I became a dietitian, because the field of Nutrition will help me to achieve my goals and passion.

What area of dietetics do you work in?

I own and operate a private practice. I also teach group Diabetes Self Management class.

How would you explain what you do?

I teach a diabetes self management class and I encourage participants to take charge of their diabetes. There is a sense of fulfillment when I see participants being more knowledgeable and empowered in taking charge of their diabetes. I also provide them with useful resources in the community.

What are your 'typical' daily/weekly tasks?

My typical day involves taking care of my family, gardening, reading up on nutrition journals, and teaching diabetes class in the evening.

What has been your career path?

I have worked in community nutrition with a focus on children, pregnant women, postpartum women (both breastfeeding women and non-breastfeeding women).

What advanced education or special training do you have?

I have a Masters degree in Food Science with a focus on food safety.

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like 5 years from now?

In an ideal world, there will a reduction in childhood obesity and malnutrition.

What misinformation about RDs would you like to clear up?

RDs are not food police.

What would you like people to know about RDs?

RDs are the nutrition experts qualified to help you navigate through all the nutrition misinformation out there and are qualified to provide you with sound, reliable, and science-based nutrition advice.

What do people think that you do for a living?

People think I cook and write meal plans.

What are you passionate about in dietetics?

I am passionate about people living a healthy life through real foods. I enjoying cooking, baking and trying new recipes.

What makes RDs unique/different from other nutrition/wellness professionals?

RDs are knowledgeable in the field and do not follow the waves of fad diet.

What is your favourite meal?

My favorite meal is beans and plantain.

What tip(s) would you give to our readers?

When you need nutrition information, seek help from Registered Dietitians. Don’t follow the waves of fad diet, eat healthy foods, lot of fruits and vegetables and everything in moderation.

More about Abiade:

Website: Restoring Health Nutrition
Email: info@restoringhealthnutrition.com
Phone: 302-632-5260
Facebook: Restoring Health Nutrition
Twitter: @abiadeadekunle



Thanks Abiade! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!