Tuesday, July 18, 2017

What RDs Do: Jim Seeger, M. Ed., RDN, LDN, ATC

JIM SEEGER
SPORTS RD
for something nutrishus

 

Jim correctly pointed out the lack of men in this series, so I challenged him to take part! He also inspired me to reach out, and as you can see there is more male representation now. A love of food and a passion for working with people led Jim to dietetics. He has a unique set of skills and credentials which impact the nutrition education he provides. 

Why did you become a RD?

I went to the Culinary Institute of America, in Hyde Park '93 and was cooking professionally. I worked as a chef and wanted to help provide food that was nutritious and "tasted good"! In the past food that was "healthy" always not very palatable. In addition, getting back to where food actually comes from was vital for health and nutrition.

What area of dietetics do you work in?


I currently work in the area of athletics, providing food and nutrition expertise to athletes and physically active individuals either in the athletic training room or when I teach cooking to surgical residents.

How would you explain what you do?

I take care of physically active individuals as an ATC (certified athletic trainer) and as an RD. I use my cooking knowledge to help educated individuals on what food is, healthy food and how it can impact their performance. As one of my mentors said, "nutrition is never neutral."

What are your typical daily/weekly tasks?

I interact daily with high school athletes in the training room. I prepare the athletes for practice and games. This begins with my assessment, testing and making recommendation for rehabbing their injuries. I am part of the sports medicine team helping the athletes prepare for their work to improve.

What has been your career path?
I don't have the typical career path but have combined a series of professions that work well together. All this really starts with my love of food. There is "no good or bad food" just how we use it. I have obtained certifications and licensure so I can practice and help the populations I have worked with.


What advanced education or special training do you have?

I earned a Masters in Education, then worked in professional sports in the marketing and sales side of athletics. I decided that dealing with people was my true passion and earned my RD and then ATC (certified athletic trainer) while having licensure in both disciplines.

In an ideal world, what does the industry look like in 5 years from now?

Well, I don't live in Utopia, but we as the food and nutrition experts will still be fighting the misinformation about nutrition and trying to fight the "magic bullet" when hard work and eating food still is the key.

More about Jim:

Twitter: @JSeegerRDATC



Thanks Jim! Find out more about What RDsDo.

If you're a dietitian that would like to be featured, email me for the details!